Yannis Daskalantonakis is the major shareholder of the family company Grecotel, the biggest luxury hospitaly chain in Greece. Yannis Daskalantonakis started his long journey in tourism from his birthplace in Rethymno Crete. As the only boy, of a traditional greek family with strong presence in the Greek tourism industry, Yannis has been brought up in his family hotels spending his summer holidays from a very early age covering every possible position in the hotel structure.
Shortly after completing his studies in London he began working in the family company Grecotel. After acquiring and renovating the famous Makedonia Palace in Thessaloniki in 1994, his path has been of constant expansion in new destinations and products.
Yannis served as CEO in FAIAX SA, a company that his family formed together with TUI. Each party owned a 50% and that was the company who bought and operated some of the most prestigious and luxurious hotels such as Corfu Imperial, Olympia Riviera, Mandola Rosa.
In 2002 Yannis was responsible for execution of the Sheraton Sofia acquisition from DAEWOO company. In the scheme that took over the hotel, EFG Eurobank, one of the biggest banks in the Balkan area, was participating as shareholder.
In 2003 Yannis leased from EFG Eurobank the famous hotel King George Palace. After finalizing the lease the hotel was totally renovated and achieved world famous awards for its exceptional operation. As a member of the Group the leading Hotels of the World the hotel has won the ‘Best Hotel of the World’ Award for the year 2009.
In 2003 Yannis set up an alliance with Aramark, the major caterer in US, and formed ARAMARK DASKO. This company overtook the project of catering the athletes’ meals during Athens Olympic Games in 2004.
In 2006 Yannis acquired the Metropol Palace disposed by the Serbian state, through the international tender realized by the Serbian State. Metropol Palace is the biggest privatization project of tourism industry ever realized in Serbia.
Kokari Ltd is a hospitality and real estate developer, owner and asset manager of luxury hotels & resorts. Kokari is investing in a diversified portfolio of upper upscale and luxury hotels located in South Eastern Europe, focusing also in the distressed Greek hospitality market.
Our hotels include spacious rooms and suites, multiple purpose meeting and banqueting space, and feature multiple revenue streams, such as world class restaurants, unique cocktail bars, high-end spas and branded retail stores. Kokari cooperates and partners with international hospitality chains (like Starwood hotels and resorts) to operate its hotels.
Kokari seeks to capitalize on hospitality real estate investment opportunities and provide investors and owners with the ability advantage of the recent cyclical downturn in Greek real estate. We will acquire, re-brand, operate and manage hotels to increase our return on invested capital, to improve overall portfolio quality, enhance diversification and improve growth rates.
As a dedicated operator of luxurious hotels, we offer a “total management solution” to hotel owners, owning companies or investors.
Kokari has been selected by Lone Star as the management company for the Hilton Athens Project. Lone Star was in the final round for the tender. Hilton Athens was disposed by Alpha bank.
Kokari has been partnered with Marathon to bid the Capsis Rhodes Hotel that is disposed by Eurobank Ergasias. Our investmenet scheme was on the short list for the bid.
Our management team has a vast depth of hotel acquisition, construction, finance and operation expertise. With more then 120 years of combined experience, our executive leadership team is widely regarded for our proven strategy, disciplined execution, and ability to drive unrivalled performance from our properties.
Guided by a disciplined approach to capital allocation and aggressive asset management, Kokari has partnered with premium brands as Starwood and has achieved average IRR of 13-15% for the last years, having also received international awards by Conde Nast, Luxury Collection and other prestigious institutions.
The Company is supported by a strong management team, whose members bring considerable experience in hotel operations, investments, asset management, finance and accounting, among many other vital disciplines.
Our strong networking capabilities allow us to identify and source investment hospitality projects in the most prospective Greek and South Eastern Europe industries. We have deep knowledge of the regional macroeconomic and microeconomic reality to advise on all aspects of a transaction, from deal origination to exit planning and provide a comprehensive approach to potential investments in the market.
BSc in Business Studies & Tourism at University of North London
MSc in International Hotel Management, at University of Surrey
• Former Executive Director at Grecotel SA. Yannis has been responsible for the financing of all Grecotel projects cooperating with the banks , for the reconstruction and the refurbishment of some of the biggest Grecotel Hotels, also being involved in all management areas of the Group
• Former Executive Director at Daskalantonakis Group
• Former President at Faiax SA (Hotel company with 8 hotels owned with by Daskalantonakis Group and TUI)
• Former President at Aramark Dasko SA
• Former Member of the Board of Directors at various hotels & resorts companies (Sunstores SA, Olympios Zeys SA, Candia SA, Tourisma SA….)
Mr Daskalantonakis has led international investments developing a 5 star hotel in Turkey , acquiring real estate in Budapest and investing in trophy hotel assets in Bulgaria and Serbia
BA (Hons) – Tourism Management
• Executive Director, Ledra Hotels & Villas SA
• General Manager of Sales & Marketing, Porto Carras Grand Resort
• General Manager, Minverva Premier Hotel
• Director of Sales Aldemar Group of Hotels
BA at Athens University of Economics & Business
MSc in Marketing at Athens University of Economics & Business
Hospitality Services Diploma, Cornell University
Hospitality Management Diploma, Bavaria Fachhochscule, Germany
• Former Director of Operations in Kokari
• Former Director of Operations in Classical hotels
• Former Purchasing Director in Grecotel SA
• Former Purchasing Director in Aramark Dasko
• Former President at Fresh Gourmet SA
• Former President at Akti Varkizas SA
• Former President at First Class SA
• Former Member of the BoD at Cretan Hotel Association
Master in Marketing at School of Higher Industrial Studies of Thessaloniki
Faculty of Management and Economics at Technological Institution of Thessaloniki
• Former HR Director at Classical Hotels SA
• Former HR Manager at AramarkDasko SA
• Grecotel Rhodos Royal – Human Resources Manager
Master in Decision Science at Athens University of Economics & Business
BSc in Informatics at AUEB University
• Former Financial Analysis Director at Travel Plan SA
• Former Financial Planning & Analysis Director at Classical Hotels SA
• Former Operation Systems Analyst at Grecotel SA
• Former Purchasing Manager at Informatics Computers SA
Hellenic Open University of Patras
MBA in Tourism Business Administration
• General Manager, The Met Hotel, Thessaloniki
• General Manager, Imperial Hotel, Athens
• General Manager, King George Palace, Thessaloniki
• Over 8 years of engineering experience in hotel industry
School of tourism business Thessaloniki
• F&B Manager, Porto Palace, Thessaloniki
• Maitre d’hotel, Porto Palace, Thessaloniki
• Maitre d’hotel, Rhodes Paradise Mare Aldemar Hotels, Rhodes
MBA, University of Stirling, Scotland
BA Business Administration, Athens University of Economics (ASOEE)
• Advisor to Senior Management at MIG Group
(Ygeia Group & SingularLogic Group)
• Corporate Banking Director, GENIKI BANK
• Business Banking Director, MARFIN EGNATIA BANK
• Business Center Manager/Senior Manager, EUROBANK SA
Certificate in Hotel Real Estate & Investments, Cornell University, NY
Master of Science in Energy Systems and the Environment, Strathclyde University Glasgow, UK
Bachelor of Science in Energy Engineering, Athens Technical Institute
• Development Country Manager Serbia & Montenegro, Lamda Development S.A
• Property Manager & Sales Representative, Savills Hellas
• Surveyor, Filoxenia S.A
BTEC HND in Hotel Catering & Institutional Management at University of North London
BTEC ND in Hotel Catering & Institutional Operations at Waltham Forest College of London
The Royal Institute of Public Health & Hygiene Certification, UK
Wine & Spirit Education Trust Certification, UK
City & Guilds of London Institute
• 706/1 Cookery for the Catering industry Certification
• 7076 Food &Beverage Service Certification
• Regional Director of Operations Europe at Grace Hotels Group
• Managing Director at Bridged-T LTD fully engaged in major hospitality projects.
• General Manager at the «Bill & Coo» Suites & Lounge Hotel, cat. 5*, Mykonos
• General Manager at «The Margi» Hotel cat.5*, Vouliagmeni
• General Manager at the «Thermae Sylla Spa & Wellness Hotel» cat. 5*, Edipsos, Evia
• Sales Manager at the «Hotel Grande Bretagne» Starwood Hotels & Resorts, cat 5*, Syntagma, Athens
• Night Manager at the «Hotel Grande Bretagne» Starwood Hotels & Resorts, cat 5*, Syntagma , Athens
• Certified Consultant by Hellenic Public Properties Company S.A
• Registered Professional Trainer of the “National Accreditation Center for Continuing Vocational Training”
• Registered Hospitality Professional Tutor of EDEXCEL U.K.
Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in International Hospitality Management
S.H.M.S Switzerland / Derby University
• Executive Assistant Manager – Operations at St. Regis Abu Dhabi
• Task Force Operation Manager at Sheraton Grand Doha
• Director of Food and Beverage at Westin Abu Dhabi
• Assistant Food And Beverage Director at Grand Hyatt Dubai
• Assistant Food And Beverage Director at Costa Navarino -Romanos Luxury Collection & Westin
During socialism, the Metropol Hotel became an east window to the westward world. Some of the most famous individuals from the 60s and the 70s, such as Anthony Quinn, Brigit Bardot, Elisabeth Taylor, the king of Ethiopia Haile Selassie, chess master Bobby Fisher, and countless politicians, Nehru from India, Nasser from Egypt, Nicolay Ceausescu from Romania, Leonid Brezhnev from the former SSSR were regulars at the hotel.
During the Conference of the unaligned movement in 1961, there were 30 heads of state and over 3000 guests present at the reception held in Metropol. Elizabeth Taylor and Che Guevara, both stayed in its apartments as gusts of Josip Broz Tito. Once the most beloved hotel of Belgrade, originally opened in 1957, The Metropol reopened after a 5 year complete remodel and reconstruction as the Metropol Palace, a Luxury Collection hotel.
Located in the very heart of Belgrade, on kralja Aleksandra Boulevard, close to all of the city’s main attractions, and overlooking the Tasmajdan park, the Metropol Palace is the perfect place for both business and leisure travelers.
The hotel offers the largest conference center, accommodating up to 1000 invitees in one conference room, it features 198 beautifully appointed guest rooms and 38 suites designed in contemporary style, with complimentary use of the spa & wellness center and a fine dining restaurants on the roof top and in lobby area overlooking one of the most beautiful part of the city surrounded by parks.
Nestled in the heart of Sofia along the major historical sights and places of interest – Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan is an ideal haven for exploring this charismatic city. You may spend the day browsing antique shops, history-filled museums, noteworthy buildings and architectural landmarks, and secluded parks.
Built in 1954-1956 as part of the new architectural creation in the heart of the city, the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan is one of Sofia’s most treasured landmarks. Known for its traditional approach to hospitality and exceptional level of service, it has welcomed many VIPs and celebrities over the years and has always been an integral part of the country’s history and life.
The hotel is adjacent to the President’s Palace and it is located just blocks away from the vibrant city life, art venues, entertainment and shopping areas as well as the governmental offices.
Each of our hotels is a complicated, stand-alone business that services sophisticated customers , demanding nothing less than the highest level of asset management expertise that delivers top line revenues and drives bottom line profitability.
Agressive asset management and disciplined capital allocation is our core competency and our competitive advantage. We have a focused and disciplined long term strrategic plan to acquire high quality lodging assets in prime urban and resort locations which have the potential for significant capital appreciation. We seek to maximize investors returns through a combination of revenues growth, operational improvements and appreciation of the net asset value.
Our primary target is to enhance and expand our high end hotel portfolio. Our goal is to acquire luxury hotels in unique location with multiple revenue streams managed as mixed used assets.
We will take advantage of the significant discount on which some properties are priced (distressed market), achiev- ing superior investment returns and provide attractive long-term yields. We are intensively focusing on operation- al excellence. Our revenue management systems are focused on driving ADR.
As total RevPAR is for us key top line performance metric, we are focusing on maximizing RevPAR, non rooms reve- nue and EBITDA per room.
We are tightly controlling expenses including food and beverage procurement and labor management systems Assets are operated as complex, mixed use properties with significant ancillary revenue.
Our vision is to be the premier hospitality Real Estate Investment Trust in South Eastern Europe.
Opportunistically evaluating high-end assets in attractive markets that will deliver a return that exceeds the Company’s cost of capital
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1,128 properties in nearly 100 countries and 154,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and ElementSM. The Company boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates.
Since their launch in 1999, MKV has completed a unique roll call of interiors projects around the world, from leading hotel groups through to one-off residential properties. Led by MKV Design’s founder, Maria Katsarou Vafiadis, award-winning team brings together a wealth of design and project management experience. From their base in London, MKV DESIGN team works with international clients who range from developers and operators to discerning private owners. What they each have in common is that they share our commitment to the very highest standards and our vision for fresh, exciting, intelligent design.
As a dedicated operator of luxury 5 star and 4 star hotels, Kokari offers a “total management solution” to hotel owners, companies or investors. Working closely with the hotel owner or owning company, our firm takes over the operation of the hotel providing operating & quality standards, practical marketing and sales support and rigid financial audits to ensure the highest gross profit margins possible.
The company can undertake the operation of hotel properties under management contracts. The firm’s experience in managing and operating various types of hotels in different destinations ensures the following:
Provision of High Quality and Value-for-Money hospitality to the quests by recognizing and servicing their needs and demands;
Developing and executing annual Business, Sales and Marketing Plans
CONTROLLING AND MIS REPORTING
• Sizeable market with a total population of 60 million.
• Stable political environment. Relatively low current debt and Government deficit levels.
• EU convergence potential
• Long-term growth higher than EU average.
• Re-emergence of intra-regional trade and brand recognition.
• Relatively cheap work force and low taxes..
• Current lack of credit and equity capital a clear opportunity.
• Large scale of ongoing privatization opportunities all over the region.
Greece has nearly completed 4 years of robust fiscal consolidation and structural reform programs supported by financial assistance from the Eurozone countries and the IMF.
Greece is now enjoying a primary budget surplus of 0.8% of GDP (2013, est) that will allow further actions in the country’s debt by and a balanced current account (2013, est).
Investment volumes decreased during the last 3 years due to the unprecedented economic crisis. The Greek market turned into a buyer’s market as a result of the lack of financing. The buyer interest that exists primarily comes from local private investors looking for bargain deals and distressed properties providing typically high returns on equity.
Greece has improved its fiscal account and is expected to restart economic growth in the next few years. New legislation favoring and encouraging foreign investments has been introduced.
In 2013 METROPOL PALACE , a luxury collection hotel, had the honor to receive global awards from two of the world’s premier luxury hospitality magazines, the venerable Conde Nast Traveller and the hip Wallpaper.
METROPOL PALACE made the Conde Nast 2013 Hot List in May 2013, a erspected adn prestigious way to attract luxury travelers to plan their next stay.
In September 2013 Metropol Palace has been shortlisted as a Wallpaper Best Urban Hotel 2013. The panel of seasoned world travelers and creatives chose Metropo Palace to compete for the impressive title of the best new generation urban hotel openings this year.
In 2015 Limegrove Spa has received a prestigious Luxury Spa award, as the most luxurious Spa in Serbia.
Limegrove Fitness and Spa, located in the center of the beautiful old city of Belgrade in the luxurious Metropol Palace Hotel and with a view over the stunning Tasmajdan Park, spans over 1200 square meters. It encompasses a Spa consisting of 6 treatment rooms offering the unique holistic treatments, a beautifully appointed relaxing area, a 25m long indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, Thermal experience consisting of sauna, steam bath and ice room, a gym, studio, and a retail shop for beauty products.